And so that was Christmas

Traditional Christmas Dinner

Traditional Christmas Dinner

Christmas has come, and gone. How was yours? We had a fantastic day. Lots of food, wine, chocolate, crisps and lots of tv. I feel as stuffed as the turkey today.

As much as I love to cook, I never cook on Christmas Day, as this is traditionally my sister’s domain, now my sister and brother-in-law. They are both fantastic cooks, and it’s always gorgeous. We went retro this year, and had prawn cocktail to start, followed by potato and thyme soup, then the traditional turkey & ham with all the trimmings washed down with a lovely albarino. This was followed by sherry trifle, many hours later as everyone was just too full.

Today is St Stephen’s Day, a very big day in the social calendar as in Ireland, as Christmas Day is a “black day” and nowhere is open, especially pubs. It is illegal for them to open, although, sometimes if you know the right people, you might get a drink in one after the Christmas swim.

So, no recipe today, just some photos, but I’ll have one for you soon. Enjoy the rest of your Christmas!

Roast parsnips and cumin buttered carrots

Roast parsnips and cumin buttered carrots

Goose fat roasted potatoes

Goose fat roasted potatoes

Prawn Cocktail

Prawn Cocktail

Potato & Thyme Soup

Potato & Thyme Soup

Sherry Trifle

Sherry Trifle

1. You’re so quick with your Xmas Dinner post, where do you find the energy?! Love the look of the goose fat roasted potatoes (I’ll never get those here) and the sherry trifle (I had something similar!).

2. I feel festively fat! Very brave to have two starters; we barely made it through Christmas dinner without rolling off our chairs. Happy times!

3. All the food looks delicious!

Ours went really well, xmas day at mother-n-law, boxing day for 9 at ours, went surprisingly smoothly!!

x

4. Mmmmmmmmm! What a wonderful website! I just stumbled across this site thanks to Google and the phrases, “American” and “London”. Your writing is lovely, and the sherry trifle looks delicious. Merry Christmas, and I look forward to reading more!

5. I thought we were being traditional, but after reading your report I bow down to you for retro eating. We had Thai scallops to start, followed by roast goose with goose-fat roast potatoes, roast carrots, truffled Brussels sprouts, puréed parsnip, stuffing and gravy made from the goose giblets and roasting juices. Followed by Christmas pudding made in October.

6. Pingback: The Christmas blog post roundup « eat like a girl

7. Lizzie – I only made it half way through my main course as a result!

Anne – thanks! Oh, 9 hours! But, I guess that’s how long these things are, end to end. Glad it went well.

Erika – thanks so much! Merry Christmas to you too and welcome :-)

Trig – how decadent. It sounds just gorgeous. Did you use fresh truffle or truffle oil?

8. That all looks wonderful – I’m especially tempted by the soup! Have to echo another commenter – how enviably speedy you are with your posts!!

9. I have just found your website, and am enjoying reading through it on this very cold and frosty Saturday afternoon (-6°c degrees outside!). I like the sound of potato and thyme soup, will you be posting the recipe? Thanks!