Cosy, quick and healthy snacking

Toasted tortilla with manchego and tomato
Sometimes, with food, instant gratification is called for. As close to instant as is possible in any case. I am not talking about reaching for the haribo (although, that has been known to happen), but something flavoursome, healthy, crispy and super quick.

Don’t worry, I haven’t lost my mind and am not about to tout the health benefits of leftover pork belly or a bag of crisps. Tasty: yes. Healthy: not so much. The snack I am about to describe, is colourful, pretty and delicious and so easy, it’s ridiculous.

Take one tortilla (corn or flour), add a handful of chopped tomatoes, the best you can get, I like sweet, ripe cherry tomatoes. Top with some grated manchego (or similar cheese) and put in a preheated oven (180 degrees celsius should do it) on a lightly oiled tray. Toast for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Drizzle some good extra virgin olive oil on top and season with salt & pepper. Serve with a handful of greens as a garnish, I used pea shoots but rocket would be good too.

Sit back, briefly admire your handiwork, for it will be pretty, and eat. Run back into the kitchen and prep another as you’ll probably want one. I almost always do.

1. That looks fantastic! My kingdom for a tortilla!! This is my first time reading your handiwork…and all I can say is WOW! thanks

2. I do something similar with a naan bread as a base, which of course makes it a bit less healthy, but than again I might not need a second one.

3. I like instant gratification, but sometimes it gets me in trouble lol. I know this tortilla would satisfy me right now! Yum!

4. I love making these type of snacks (though haribo tangfastics are also wonderful!), though I alway seem to have run out of fresh tomatoes, tinned tomato puree does a good job as a base and freezes well if you don’t use it all! I quite like them rolled up too, even easier to eat! :)

5. Oooh this looks great. I usually keep a pack of tortillas for quesadillas and wraps, but I never thought of doing it pizza style.

6. This is genius – thank you! I tried it this afternoon and I can confirm it was a WINNER. The tortilla goes all crispy so it’s like a wafer-thin pizza base, but not too crispy to roll up and eat like a wrap! This is perfect for health-conscious pizza lovers. It’s handy too, because we often have left-over tortillas after our weekly fajita night.

Next time I will have to experiment with different toppings – torn chicken breast and chilli, mmmm.

7. I know this probably isn’t a comment you were looking to get, but I love pea shoots! This is such a versatile idea. I’m thinking ham and gruyere. Or pesto with basil leaves. Hmmm… The kitchen beckons…

8. Yum. I want to eat it now! Those are great colour combinations. Everything I ate today was yellow, which I’m sure can’t be good.

9. I made these last night and they were great! I love the chilli oil suggestion too. I often make wraps for my lunch and have a few left over and this will be a great way of using them up. Thanks!

10. There’s a bit of manchego and some cherry tomatoes clogging up the fridge at the minute, may have to give this a go. Admittedly I’ll have to buy the tortillas and greenery though which kinda spoils the store cupboard feel.

11. Hi there! I love your blog and have already made a few things from it, all with great results! I’m a fellow food blogger and am new to London. Your blog has been a great source of inspiration. Also now following you on twitter. And I’m sure I’ll be trying this recipe soon too!

Jessica (Wattscooking)

12. This has been tormenting me since I first saw you mention it and I forgot to pick up some tortillas today, grrr! Such a good idea.

13. Wow – I’ll always reach for a savoury snack over the haribo and this is why! But if you eat 10 in a row can it still be classified as healthy?!

14. Helen – I know! I always have more than one!

Laura – lol, thanks.

Andrew – thanks! Hope you enjoyed.

videodrome – thanks so much! You’ve put a smile on my face this Saturday morning :-)

Heather – thanks :-)

Helen – lol! I’ve since come up with one. Tortilla Pizza!

Sylvie – sounds lovely! I do this with middle eastern flat breads and pitas too. Always good.

maninas – thanks!

Christie – less carby, so I tell myself healthier. Portion control is the problem ;-) Thanks!

Chuck – haha! Thanks :-)

Hipster – absolutely, great suggestion.

Caroline – great! Thanks for coming back to let me know :-)

Anne – they are lovely wrapped up, although you’ve to watch out for leaky cheese. I love the tang of fresh, good tomatoes, it makes it for me. I could see that puree would work though.

Lizzie – thanks! :-)

Billy boy – great! And that chicken one sounds like a winner. Enjoy!

Angry Brit – pea shoots rock! Those sound like lovely tortilla pizzas too. I’ve been having lots of blue cheese ones. I’ll blog some more :-)

foodrambler – thanks! It sounds like you’re trying to conjure up sunshine and who could blame you! :-)

clau – thanks!

Hipster – LOL

Caroline – great! Enjoy :-)

Jeanne – it really is hard to beat that combo. Thanks!

Joshua – great! Worth the trip to the shops though :-) Hope you enjoyed it.

Jessica – thank you! Very sweet of you to say and I am really chuffed that you’re enjoying it. Hope you’re enjoying London.

melanie – like minds ;-)

Ginger – thanks & enjoy! :-)

Jamie – thanks!

Alex – I think… maybe? ;-)

gracefullydelctable – thanks!

winesleuth – I used to too :-) And pita, and middle eastern flatbreads. Quick, easy, and fairly delicious. A winner :-)

15. Pingback: February Roundup! « eat like a girl