Brunch Baked Eggs

Sounds very elegant doesn’t it? Brunch. Baked. Eggs. It evokes luxury and comfort, and yes, it had both of these. But, It had something else too.

Potatoes!

I christened this dish Irish Huevos Rancheros when I made it last Sunday, but when writing this thought, as titles go, I might be going too left of field, and I don’t want to offend any Mexicans ;-) I did your dish proud, honest, but I gave it an irish potato-y twist.

Like most of my recent dishes, this doesn’t have strict measurements. In fact I didn’t measure anything. It’s very simple, and in truth, you can’t go wrong. Now, people don’t believe me when I say this, and believe me to have some inside culinary knowledge or secret power, but, this is not true. It’s easy.

I started by roasting some very sweet and delicious cherry tomatoes (about 3 handfuls) in olive oil with a finely chopped green chilli and some good extra virgin olive oil at 180 degrees. While these were roasting I parboiled some diced potatoes until tender, then roasted them for about 20 minutes until becoming crispy. At this point your tomatoes should be looking, and tasting, delicious, all mushy and full of flavour. Time to add some fresh coriander (a handful) to your tomatoes and season. Pour the tomatoes over the potatoes and crack in some eggs, 2 per person. Bake until the white is set and the yolk is runny, no more than 5 minutes. This is the only tricky bit, it’s very easy to overcook the eggs so keep an eye on them.

That’s it. Dish up and get back to your Sunday paper. Enjoy!

(I hope you’re still in pj’s – I was ;-)

Niamh

15 Comments Write a comment

1. well…thats an easy weekend breakfast idea..i now know what to make for breakfast this saturday!! :) ( I am new here..i follow you on twitter as scATmirchmasala)

2. I reckon Irish Huevos Rancheros is a very appropriate name – you should sell the idea to Giraffe!

Had eggs en cocotte at the weekend – a treat in a very similar vein. Baked eggs rock!

3. Didn’t potatoes come from Central America before they got to Ireland? If so, the original cooks of huevos rancheros made a mistake in omitting them.

True that most of us couldn’t go wrong with this but I know one person who could. For comedy value I might get him to try this, see what emerges and take pictures.

4. Drueling. Badly. One of my favourite things. It’s lucky I’m alergic to eating pixels otherwise I would have wolfed this down. Monitor and all.

5. Superchef – hello! hope you enjoy them and see you on twitter!

aforkfulofspaghetti – haha! I love eggs en cocotte too. I must make them again.

Julia – thanks.

Claire – hope you liked it!

Alex – lol! Indeed, it is :-)

Ros – Indeed, you’re right! I think they missed a trick :-)

Jonathan – lol. Thanks :-)

• agirlhastoeat – thanks. I wish I had pierced the yolk before I had taken the photo as they were perfectly gooey and delicious. I was in too much of a rush to eat them though! :-)

6. Ahh i made this on Saturday – added chorizo, left out coriander and served it on bed of spinach instead. Will blog about it this week, but it was gorgeous. Thank you!

7. Pingback: February Roundup! « eat like a girl

8. Yum, there’s nothing quite like baked eggs – I usually do a creamy spinach thing with mine but spicy, tomato pots sounds excellent too.

Thanks for expanding my baked egg horizons!

9. Pingback: Farewell to 2009! Another year over [Part 1] « eat like a girl