Gotcha! April Fools Day, Restaurant Style

I had to quickly share something with you that caught me out and made me laugh. Konstam’s April Fools Menu. I should be ashamed to admit I believed it, it’s pretty ridiculous, but – hey – I was busy, in the middle of ten things and have a gullible disposition at the best of times. And I’m sticking with that.

So, I used to work near Konstam, the restaurant famed for sourcing everything within the M25 (a motorway that circles London) known to most through the TV show “The Urban Chef”. I loved lunch there, and I love the way they cook, so despite now working miles away, I still receive the emails. It’s like culinary masochism. Every day I look and think how I can’t have it and how crap Victoria is for lunch options.

Today’s menu came through and I read the email.

I’d been pretty busy and in truth my brain was frazzled following a series of meetings, so I thought, intriguing! Wonder what this is about?

So, I opened the attached menu (click image to see larger size).

Konstam April Fools Menu

I thought – wow – Camden Town peacock soup with sour cream & nutmeg! They cooked a peacock?! Wonder what that tastes like. At Braised North London iguana with onion & allspice salad & sour cream, I began to smell a rat. Next pan-roast London Zoo giraffe neck fillet, purple sprouting broccoli, almond & barley salad and pan-fried, aquarium-reared hammerhead shark with mashed potato, braised chard & apple balsamic & garlic dressing. I knew I’d been had, and laughed a lot. I’m still chuckling now.

It brought a smile to my day. I hope it does to yours too :)

Cooking and travelling, and sharing it all with you.

1. sadlly clicking on the menu took me to an equally myopic pic on flickr. love your blog though!

2. I loved it – one of the better April fools in my opinion but then it is food related! I agree with Su-lin – a true London menu would have rat on it surely! And probably pigeon….

3. Hilarious! I am a sucker for April fools day jokes though I am worried that if I had been around at that time I would have fallen for the infamous Panorama spaghetti tree incident.

4. I fell for every fools yesterday. “Oh my god! How did Waitrose manage to cross a banana with a pineapple?!”

D’oh!

5. Skipped over the sandwiches, did you? I started laughing at the Humming bird and courgette pickle.

I wonder exactly what kind of eggs would be in the egg mayonnaise?

6. I know everyone is talking about the recession, but I didn’t think it had gotten so bad that we’re looking at eating the zoo animals! :) It’s like the siege of Paris all over again!

7. Apologies all for the slow responses! I do really appreciate every comment but have had no internet since the house move. All set now! :)

@Su-Lin I might have spotted that one as a joke – I hope! :)

@lise – apologies! you should be able to see the big one now

@Helen – true! and they often do have pigeon :)

@Gourmet Chick – I’m the same and think I might have too!

@Lizzie – LOL, I missed that one!

@Breadinthebone – I actually did! I saw the sandwiches after!

@Aidan my head was clearly more south than it should have been :(

@Angry Brit – lol! exactly… :)