Random
Comments 30

Jai Shri Krishna

Moving to a new area always has a little bit of a thrill, especially if it’s relatively unexplored (by your good self of course) and has gastronomic bounty to offer. My move to Turnpike Lane in North East London has been particularly good in this respect. I’ve found some great new Turkish restaurants (Antepliler, I salute you, and I’ll bring my camera next time!), am addicted to Turkish Lahmacun, particularly weak for it after a few drinks, and I have found a number of great food shops and a local butcher that I like.

This time, I won’t talk about Turkish food. This may seem odd for Londoners familiar with Green Lanes, packed with Turkish restaurants, food shops and Turkish men’s social clubs. Like many parts of London, Turnpike Lane is full of surprises, and turning a street corner can throw up some unexpected flavours. On Turnpike Lane itself, for example, there’s multi-ethnic eateries and shops with Lebanese, Caribbean, Malay and Indian flavours.

The ones that really impressed me recently and that I will describe now, are the Indian ones. I discovered a great little food shop that sells all sorts of usually unattainable delights, from fresh turmeric to tinda, tiger tomatoes to a myriad of squashes. Every spice and rice you could think of. I’m a regular visitor now. Just before you get there, a gem of a restaurant is tucked behind an understated facade, looking utterly unimpressive.

Jai Shri Krishna is a family run South Indian Vegetarian restaurant. I love South Indian Vegetarian food, particularly Keralan, and when I discovered there was a local restaurant, I swiftly checked it out.

A first glance at the window revealed a very cheap lunch deal and half price thali at lunch nestled beside the menu. Not always the most encouraging sign, but usual for restaurants like this. The menu was fairly large offering Keralan staples, dosas, uttapam, idli and a wide variety of curries and dals. It was all very cheap too, predominantly circling the £4 mark. There’s no alcohol on the menu but it is BYO and at a very reasonable 30p for each beer and I can’t quite remember the specifics but something like £1.50 for a bottle of wine.

aloo gobi

Service was quick, we were promptly brought a menu and some paper and a pen to note our choices. Now this worried me a little, as this wasn’t like some places where you tick next to the food you want. I was to write it out, and my writing is really very bad. I once signed a birthday card with my name Niamh, spelled N-I-A-M-H, and my friend asked, who’s David? Oh, no that’s just me, that’s N-I-A-M-H.  So, as clearly as I could I wrote our order, and then, armed with the knowledge of my terrible, terrible writing, went through each one with the waiter when he came to take it.

dosa

We ordered the masala dosa, nice and light, with a light and delicately seasoned light potato masala in the centre served with a lovely sambar and cocnut chutney. There was lots of interesting paneer dishes, we went with the pumpkin one. I thought it might be too sweet but it was very light and not overbearing, very enjoyable.  Aloo Gobi was delicious, the potatoes had a lovely caramelised flavour, surely, the ultimate comfort food. The pooris were light and fresh,and it was nice to have the option of brown rice. We washed it all down with some lime waters which were very good indeed. The only dish which  I wasn’t overjoyed with was the mushroom dopiaza, all is forgiven though as everything else was great and at that price, fantastic.

mushroom dopiaza

The second night we went we got a big wave, and they came down to say hello and apologised for being rushed the day before as they were very busy. I love local enterprises like this, family run, friendly, great value and with lots of integrity. I’ve really enjoyed it and will certainly go again. It’s very reasonable, well flavoured and spiced, and good value. A local treat. Try it if you’re in the area.

Jai Shri Krishna, 10 Turnpike Lane Hornsey London N8 0PT

1. fingersandtoes says

Those pooris look so good! I have Drummond Street right next door but may have to take a trip up to your neck of the woods!

• They were delicious! I know Drummond St well and while I love going to the snack bars, spice shop and sweet places, I rate Jai Shri Krishna above places like Diwana there. I’ve not been for a while though, I must confess.

2. Heather says

“Who’s David?” Ha ha! That made me laugh out loud. And the rest of your post made me SALIVATE out loud. I miss London even more now :-( Mental note to try this next time I visit. Thanks!

3. Yup, this is definitely just like Jai Krishna on Stroud Green Road, complete with writing your order down. Isn’t it great to discover new places near home? I did myself tonight.

• Excellent, I must try that one too. It’s great finding new places near home, I very much enjoyed it.

4. I’m in love with Turkish food (my husband to be spent 11 years in Istanbul) and just like you, I’m an addict. But Indian cuisine is also one of my favourites and thanks for all these precious information, I will go soon!

5. SophieM says

Looks amazing. I love Kastoori in Tooting for S Indian food – possibly a bit of a schlep from Turnpike Lane! I must say though, I think charging corkage when you don’t serve booze is absolutely taking the piss – in fact I suspect it’s Not Allowed.

• Thanks for the rec, I must try it. I don’t mind taking the trip at all, in fact I go down that way quite frequently. Corkage without a license is normal in my experience. I don’t hold it against them, regardless, they really undercharge for their food as it is.

6. gastrogeek says

What a fantastic post! And I totally hear what you’re saying about the handwriting :D Reading this has brought on a proper masala dosa craving….What a great and bargainous find, will be sure to check it out next time I’m in the area!

• Thanks Rejina! :) Masala Dosa is so good, pure comfort food. If you do check it out, let me know what you think.

7. That looks sooo delicious. I may jump on 210 in a moment to try for myself ;)

Your post made me really really hungry and it is lunch time!

Margot

8. Ben says

Hi,

Was good to see you the other night amidst all the sherry. We should meet up at another event soon…. and btw after my trip to Istanbul in May I too am addicted to Lahmacun….

Ben

• Hello Ben! Lovely to see you too. It was enormous fun. I d o enjoy a sherry opr two (or more?). Lahmacun is so so good. It’s on my list to make at home.

9. Indian food has a variation of spices and ingredients making it so mouth watering. Outside Indian, authentic Indian food is rare. But if you are lucky you may get some. The way you got at Jai Shri Krishna.

10. Michael says

Just returned from eating their Thali, excellent value @ £6.95 – waiter told me its £3.95 at lunchtime also Masala Dosa £2.99 at lunch. Who can argue with that. Lovely Food..

• Oh great! I must go back. I promised that I would take a photo of their thali for the window :) So glad you enjoyed it!

11. Pingback: Farewell to 2009! Another Year Over [Part 3] « eat like a girl

12. Pingback: 22 Dishes Every Vegetarian In London Has Got To Try - Crazzzy Travel

13. Pingback: ロンドンのあらゆるベジタリアンがためさなければならない22の食器 | ワンちゃん大好き・大特集!