A Quick Recipe for a Glorious Brunch: Turkish Eggs

Turkish Eggs 009-1
The first time that I had Turkish Eggs at The Providores in London, I was hooked. Hooked and a little obsessed. I ordered it as I just didn’t know how it could work, but knew that it wouldn’t be there if it didn’t, right?

The Providores version is non traditional, poached eggs on thick yogurt with chilli butter. It is utterly divine. It prompted me to go home and do some research on Turkish Eggs. I wanted to know more, I wanted to make it, I needed to eat them often! What would I get in Turkey? I found out, and this brings me to this recipe, traditional Turkish Eggs.

The rewards are huge for such a simple dish. Greek style yogurt at the bottom of a bowl, 2 poached eggs on top, and sage leaves fried until crispy in a decent chunk of butter. You won’t regret the extra butter I promise you! Scatter the crispy sage leaves around the eggs and drizzle the butter. And swoon and eat. Now I want some more.

1. hmm… that does sound like an odd combination! However…going by your reaction, I’m looking forward to giving it a go :)

2. Well it DOES sound an odd combination; but that’s what makes it exciting! I’ve been enjoying Niki Segnit’s Flavour Thesaurus & there are certainly some surprises in there.

3. Is there ever a need to justify extra butter?!

I am trying to perfect my egg poaching at present, so may be forced to make this as practice!

• Never!

Poached eggs. MOST imrtant thing is that the eggs are super fresh, as fresh as possible. That way the white holds together and doesn’t fragment. Whirlpool good too. Vinegar helps but not essential if fresh.

4. I, too, am a card carrying member of the “I love Turkish eggs Changa style” at Providores. What I’d love to know is what goes into the chili butter. Is it just red chilis chopped up and whipped into the butter? It always seems to be more like a chili oil, but maybe that’s with all the melted butter?

I have often suspected it’d be easy to make the dish at home, but only if poaching an egg didn’t seem so complicated.

5. This is the second time I’ve come across this since Su-Lin’s post towards the end of last year and at first I was trying to imagine the concept but now I’m even more intrigued. Will try it out this weekend but not sure whether to take the sage or paprika route. Actually, I might do both and see which I prefer! How eggciting!! (So so sorry, that was worse than James Martin’s pre omelette blurb on Saturday kitchen).

6. Completely agree about the Flavour Thesaurus. Am having a lovely time reading it (in between lovely blog posts like yours :) ) Also love the combination of brown butter, sage and yogurt. A the Rockpool Bar and Grill in Sydney they do a divine side dish of roasted pumpkin with sage, burnt butter and a drizzle of sheep yogurt. Is stonkingly good stuff.

7. Pingback: Turkish poached eggs « My Custard Pie