Recipe: Passion Fruit & Lime Salmon Ceviche

I went to Argentina, and I fell in love with Peruvian food. I loved the Argentinian food too, the sweetbreads particularly and the empanadas, especially those gorgeous beef ones from Mendoza. I have long been a fan of chimmichurri with steak, although, controversially, I like to make mine with fresh herbs.I prefer the fresher flavour and softer texture.

The Peruvian food though, that was a revelation. I have been interested in Peruvian food for a while, and bought a number of Peruvian food ingredients when I visited Florida in February. Then my interest was piqued further when Astrid Y Gaston in Lima was selected for the Worlds 50 Best list (I tried the tasting menu at their Buenos Aires branch recently – more on that later). Then I met Martin, a Peruvian entrepreneur in London opening a Ceviche and Pisco bar in London later this year.

It seems Peruvian food is in, and I can absolutely understand why. I just wonder why it took so long?!

I arrived back in London last week obsessed and craving many things, but especially the food that I had at a particular restaurant in Buenos Aires, Sipan. Argentinians love sushi, and they love ceviche,  so hybrid Japaanese-Peruvian restaurants have mushroomed. It sounds like an awful fusion concept but, surprisingly, it really works, and most serve terrific and very fresh sushi and ceviche.

My favourite dish at Sipan was a salmon ceviche with passion fruit. I say ceviche it was more a take on salmon sashimi with a passion fruit sauce poured over it. Ceviche is fish that is allowed to “cook” in citrus for 15 – 20 minutes, so I decided to take those flavours and do a more traditional ceviche at home.

Note on the ingredients: One of the Peruvian products I brought back from the US is called Aji Amarillo, a very fruity and sweet bright yellow chilli, mine was pureed and jarred. It has a unique flavour, almost slightly charred and very sweet and fruity. I love it and have been using it everywhere. You can source it online, but do substitute with fresh chopped chilli if you need to.

Recipe: Passion Fruit & Lime Salmon Ceviche

400g salmon fillet, skin removed and cut into thin slices or strips
2 passion fruits, halved with fruit scooped out and passed through a sieve
juice of 2 limes
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
coriander
2 tsp aji amarillo or 1 fresh chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
half red onion sliced

Combine the lime, sieved passion fruit, garlic and aji amarillo. Add to the salmon and make sure the salmon is coated thoroughly. Cover and leave to marinade in the fridge for 15 – 20 minutes.
Remove from the fridge and serve with the coriander and red onion.
Eat immediately and enjoy!

1. I wouldn’t have thought of using something as sweet as passion fruit in a ceviche but it sounds really interesting. Absolutely love this method of preparing fish and Peruvian cuisine should definitely be championed in the UK. Slightly less keen on the Pisco though – I remember visiting a Pisco factory on a visit to Peru when feeling very hungover – workers drinking 80%+ proof shots at 10am was a pretty amazing sight!

• Bring on the Peruvian cuisine! I love pisco – probably just as well it isn’t readily available ;) Enjoy the recipe!

2. Just gorgeous (nb, am with you on chimichurri with fresh herbs- boosted some with orange juice and zest a while ago- since then have become a little addicted)

3. Ceviche recipes have totally been all over my radar lately — the perfect summer dish, and yet I’ve been so intimidated to try them at home! When you take the “Food Handler’s Certification” exam in New York City, one of the first things they tell you to try to put the fear of the sanitation gods in you is, “Never, ever eat ceviche.”

Even though I know that’s totally cockamamie advice, I still… I don’t know, it gives one pause, ya know? But I’ve eaten ceviche plenty of times and haven’t died yet, so let’s do this passion fruit thing.

• One you are somehwere good or have sourced your fish well, it’s absolutely fine, no? Gotta have some ceviche! Enjoy :)

4. O that sounds really refreshing and tingle-your-taste-buds. Like it. I’m not a huge salmon fan but this I can imagine to be a perfect marriage of flavours. Nice one Empanada Immaculata!

• OH MY GOD! I love my new name! Thank you sista. ;)

Enjoy the recipe, I think it’s perfecy for this weather!

5. Think this would also be lovely with thinly sliced raw scallop. And the marinade would be great served warm with cooked fish as well I think Great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

• Absolutely – almost made it with scallop in fact. It would work really well with any white fish really or trout I think. Enjoy! :)

6. Love this recipe and will try soon – would you use another fish too, some sustainable ones as well such as tilapia?

7. I also fell in love with ceviche and Peruvian food in Buenos Aires, I picked up a recipe as well that I love if you’re interested.

8. Oooooooooh loving the use of passion fruit! I fear an expensive and unhealthy addiction to Aji Amarillo coming on.

Glad you had an awesome trip.

9. Love ceviche but never attempted to make it myself. It happens to be passionfruit season and my neighbor’s vine is laden with fruit, a good opportunity to try this recipe.

10. There is a Peruvian place in London Bridge, just behind the station – have been past many times but perhaps it’s time to venture in, now I know what to order!

11. Do you think a combination of yellow peppers and yellow chilli would create the same affec if you can’t get Aji Amarillo?

12. What an amazing, fresh sounding combination, I love the sound of the passion fruit and lime. I ate ceviche lots in chilie and it was delicious.

13. Pingback: Red Snapper Watermelon Ceviche Recipe « ThatsZoGood