Recipe
Comments 38

Recipe: Whiskey Bacon Jam

Whiskey Bacon Jam

We all went a bit mad for bacon jam, first of all when I got my paws on some over 2 years ago from the US (longer?) and secondly when I posted a recipe earlier this year. You adore it in the main, some of you are perplexed, but you always come around to loving it.

Why play around with the smoky spicy jam? The rich umami face slap that it delivers can surely not be improved? Well, I don’t think I can improve it, but I have created a naughty sibling that is definitely on a par with it. A teenage drinking bacon jam that has raided its parents drinks cupboard and swilled the most expensive bottle in there, that gorgeous 16 year old Lagavulin.

Perfect for Christmas, this peaty meaty smoky jam gives you all you need. You have bacon (breakfast), coffee (BING), whiskey (god given and needed cure for Christmas morning). This stuff is the business and I will be wheeling out a jar as medicine on Christmas day.

I made a big batch last night and will be selling it at Covent Garden Market today – my last day this year – and possibly forever unless I find a sensible way of doing a stall where I get more than 3 hours sleep a night and don’t strain my back (tiny violin). I will also have cider & chipotle pulled pork sandwiches (cooked for 8 hours) in a homemade blaa (fluffy white bread roll from Waterford for new readers). Hope to see you there!

Whiskey Bacon Jam Recipe

Ingredients

500g streaky bacon (it has to be streaky), chopped into small dice
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red onion, finely diced
50g brown sugar
50mls maple syrup
50ml cider vinegar
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
150ml fresh brewed coffee (NOT instant – important)
100ml whiskey of your choice (I used Lagavulin)
2 chipotles in adobe (1 chillies – NOT 2 tins!), finely chopped or 1 fresh red chilli

Method

Sauté the bacon over a medium heat until starting to crisp.

Take the bacon out and pour off most of the bacon fat, leaving just enough to fry the onion until soft but not coloured – about 5 minutes. Add the garlic for about a minute.

Transfer the bacon, onion, garlic to a large pot with the rest of the ingredients.

Simmer gently for one hour, adding a little water every 30 minutes if required (I only had to do this towards the end). Add the red wine vinegar in the last 5 minutes.

Pulse it in a food processor briefly (to retain the course texture) – although it can be quite nice coarse.

Ready to serve. Will keep in the fridge too although I doubt you will have any leftover.

This entry was posted in: Recipe

by

1. Niamh, I love that you’ve spelt it with an e & then gone north of the border rather than back home. This looks amazing – and scarily easy? Digging in the booze cupboard for some whiskey now (there’s always Jamesons, and if I’ve not finished it, some Powers). Merry Christmas!

2. I love it – who would think you could go one better than bacon jam but you have. PS well done on your Blacks lunch as well, sounds like it was a cracker.

3. Susie Gibson says

re quantity, you only use 1 red onion, to make a big batch with say 6 jars how would you multiply the recipe?
    sounds really nice

• if multiplying the recipe, unless you get a big frying pan I would do several batches of this size as you need to evaporate the juices and caramelise the bacon. if you do get a big frying pan – and I mea BIG -then double / triple etc.

4. Roughly how many jars would the original recipe make (small jam /mustard jar size?) . Sounds amazing!

5. Thanks- in the time in took to reply I have purchased double the ingredients-going to be some happy family members this christmas!

6. Heaven in a Jar! My wee little brain does not know how to convert the measurements into ones a girl from the USA can understand! Help?!

7. I made a batch of this yesterday. Utterly divine. We had it as a canape with tea-smoked mussels on mini oatcakes. Tomorrow it will appear for brunch with tattie scones and roasted tomatoes.

8. L.Higens says

Thank you, thank you so much for this lovely and delicious and easy recipe! I tripled the quantities and got 4 jars the size shown in your picture. I wish my pot was bigger! Everyone raved about the flavor. I used McClelland’s (Islay) single malt and what an aroma it created in my home. I wish you a very happy Christmas (belated) and hope that 2012 is your yummiest to date Niamh!

9. Oh. my. God. What fresh hell is this – bacon AND whisky in a jar?? :o))) Want some, quite badly. I do have a birthday coming up in March (she says, adopting a gently wheedling tone…!)

10. Pingback: The rise and rise of smoking food | Hot Searches Today

11. Pingback: Waterford Festival of Food – My Weekend of Amazing Food - Sian Phillips

12. Pingback: Declaring an End to the Travel Ban: a Wee Trip to Scotland |

13. Mr. Dana says

For US people, I converted it.
    2 1/4 c bacon

3 1/2 T brown sugar
    3 1/3 T maple syrup
    3 1/3 T cider vinegar

2/3 C coffee
    3/8 C plus 2 1/4 t whiskey

14. Pingback: The global obsession with bacon grows ever rasher. Is there a cure? | FoodieNation

15. Alex Burt says

Hi there! I’ve been recommended your site by Trolls pantry in Brighton. If you’ve never been, come down and eat the best burger you’ve ever had in your life!! I asked them for a bacon Jam recipe, so I can make a big batch for giving to friends for Xmas presents. How much does your recipe yield? I’m looking to make for about 10-15 average sized jars.
    Happy Sunday!
    Alex.

• Hi Alex! Sadly I rarely have the time to pop to Brighton but it is on my list. Each recipe (500g) yields approx 2 medium jars. Enjoy!

16. Pingback: Well, hello there 2013! Come on in. Plus the top recipes from 2012. |

17. Hi, this sounds amazing but theres one problem…. i hate coffee :( Is there an alternative I could use that would work in this or does it have to be coffee?

18. John Marinello says

Hi there. Does the jam need to be refrigerated immediately after? Can it be processed in a water bath and stored on a shelf? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

• No – it is preserved in the jam, but if you want to store it you should can it as you suggest.

19. Pingback: Whiskey Bacon Jam | Eliza's Recipe Archive

20. Helen says

Wow this sounds amazing- all my favourite things in one jar! How long will it keep in the fridge? Hoping to make some for xmas presents (if I can bring myself to give it away) so don’t want to make it too early.

21. Pingback: How To Turn A £10 Bottle Of Aldi Whisky Into A Hamper-Full Of Tasty Treats | Tartan Thrifty