A Postcard from Istanbul

Istanbul Sunset

Istanbul Sunset

The keen eyed, the twitter followers and the instagram followers, and those waiting for my posts on Berlin will no doubt go – HEY – what happened to Berlin? Well, here is the deal, I can’t write about Berlin while in Istanbul?

Why? Because I am so absorbed in this right now that it is all that I can think of, and because Berlin was so (and in its own wonderful way) different. It will make more sense to write about Berlin when I am back in northern Europe (Amsterdam), at the weekend. (If you are curious though, you can take a peek at instagram where I post everything as it happens, it is best used as an app on your phone, I love it).

I am working on a 6 city commission for Housetrip, writing recipes and content for their site, and some content for here too. It is wonderful hopping from city to city and exploring vastly different cultures back to back. I have had to split the trip in three to accommodate my bacon masterclasses next week and a few other things, but that extends the pleasure.

The only things I have arranged in each city are some tours to help me dive right in, everything else I am discovering as I go and planning when I arrive. I like to travel like that sometimes, when I have time to be a bit more relaxed. I love fine dining but don’t always feel the need to do it, these trips are more about uncovering the local flavour, the markets and how to cook it yourself in your own kitchen.

Istanbul? Charming, gorgeous and full of flavour. I am still discovering so will save the detail for a bit. But here is my postcard, enjoy it.

Lamb chops at Asmali Cavit

Lamb chops at Asmali Cavit

All calm after sunset on the Bosphorus

All calm after sunset on the Bosphorus

Istanbul roof tops (from my roof terrace)

Istanbul roof tops (from my roof terrace)

Playing football by Galata tower

Playing football by Galata tower

Borek Café (haven't eaten here but like the look of it)

Borek Café (haven’t eaten here but like the look of it)

Love the street food carts in Istanbul

Love the street food carts in Istanbul

Ottoman Pit Roast Lamb at Siirt Şeref Büryan Kebap Salonu

Ottoman Pit Roast Lamb at Siirt Şeref Büryan Kebap Salonu – part of the highly recommended Istanbul Eats food tour

Galata Tower, Istanbul - my apartment is right next to it

Galata Tower, Istanbul – my apartment is right next to it

Fishing on the Bosphorus, Istanbul

Fishing on the Bosphorus, Istanbul

Istanbul bread seller- delicious it was too

Istanbul bread seller- delicious bread he was selling too, just by the blue mosque

Turkish coffee, some of the best in the city, still roasted over wood (part of the Istanbul Eats tour)

Time for tea! This guy has been growing his moustache for 4 years. Isn't it awesome?!

Time for tea! This guy has been growing his moustache for 4 years. Isn’t it awesome?!

Street shoe shining in Istanbul

Street shoe shining in Istanbul

Uber food guide, Angelis, hanging out with some locals drinking tea

Uber food guide, Angelis, hanging out with some locals drinking tea

… lots more soon!

Niamh

26 Comments Write a comment

1. What a wonderful postcard! Am so longing to go to Istanbul after seeing this and Ottolenghi’s Mediterranean Feast.

2. So jealous – I completely fell in love with Istanbul last spring. A city with a really great atmosphere – and spectacular food! And I think everyone who goes on that food tour has a photo of the man with the moustache – and he clearly loves it! :)

3. We were in Istanbul last summer – some incredible sights to see and we got some amazing pictures too. Love those minarets. It’s an unbeleivable skyline. You were luckier with the food scene than we were though. Or perhaps just better informed… ;-D

• Hi Louise. It is beautiful. Re better informed, I researched every where I ate thoroughly if that is what you mean? I can’t afford to waste a meal time here. I am only here for 5 nights. Although, I do this every where I go.

• Yes – research is exactly what I mean! We alsways seem to imagine we’ll get a more ‘authentic’ experience by taking pot luck when we are away from home. Sometimes it’s great. Sometimes not so great. I need to take a leaf out of your book… :-D

4. Turkey – along with Greece- I still feel is underrated in terms of cuisine. I think Yottam Ottolenghi’s recent TV show flew the flag really well though, as did the series Allegra McEvedy filmed over christmas. There’s something to be said for the simple breads, grilled meats and fresh produce that Turkey does so well – not to mention a huge history in food to pull from.

• I disagree! I think Greece and Turkey are well known for foo. Greece isn’t well represented in terms of restaurants in the UK but Turkey is – try my favourite Antepliler in Green Lanes. Also Yasar Halim for groceries. Adores the Byzantine cuisine, it is fabulous that they are still cooking and serving ancient dishes.

• Yeah, we have a couple of Turkish places in Leeds, and only one decent Greek – which when you think about how many chinese, thai and Italian places there are is a crime!

5. looks like a wonderful experience! I´ve been to Turkey twice, and the food there was great! and let`s not forget the tea, oh the turkish tea… I still have vivid memories about being invited into a tea shop drinking all the tea my heart desired and offered turkish delights as well.

6. Gosh I loved Istanbul- if you can squeeze it in, do try and make it to Istanbul Modern (it’s also handily close to some of the best baklava in the city too).

7. Your photos are really fantastic. They just seem to capture the essence of everywhere you go. Great characters too. Wish I had your job!

8. Hey, great photo tour. Istanbul has been on my ‘list’ for a while You’ve brought it to life for me. Enjoy the rest of your trip. The writing job sounds awesome. Envious!! :)