RECIPE: Toad in the Hole

Toad in the Hole

Toad in the Hole

I never even heard of toad in the hole as a child. I may have heard it referred to but I always thought that it referred to Toad of Toad Hall of The Wind in the Willows. I was quite surprised to discover it was a joyous and simple concoction of sausages roasted in Yorkshire batter. Delicious!

This is super easy to prepare at home and I am sharing the recipe with you today very quickly, because I really think you need to make it. I have also made this with the cocktail cooking chorizo sausages from Brindisa in a muffin tray. They were so cute I half wanted to tuck them up in bed instead of eating them.

For this, I used common or garden proper pork sausages. That taste of pork and just that. I am not liking the trend of sticking all types of things in sausages. Some things are best left simple (unless they are very good and then I am ok with that).

This makes enough for 2 with 2 sausages each. Or if cooking for 1 as I was, enough for 1 and a big Yorkshire pudding for later. I often cook for 1, and it upsets me that people think it is pointless to do so. We should all cook for ourselves and take pleasure in it.

Toad in the Hole

Toad in the Hole

RECIPE: Toad in the Hole

serves 1

Ingredients

1 egg
50g plain flour, sifted
pinch of salt
150ml whole milk
2 sausages
one small tray that will accomodate two sausages and wiggle room
flavourless oil or – indulgently – duck fat

Method

Whisk together the salt, egg, milk and flour until there is no lumps and leave aside for an hour.

Preheat your oven to 200 deg C and lightly roast the sausages in a little oil / fat until they are starting to brown.

Remove the sausages and add more fat, it should cover the whole of the bottom of the pan (or you won’t get a nice crisp bottom). Heat in the oven then add the sausages and pour in the batter until it comes half way up the sausages. Put the leftover batter in another small tin with fat to cook a Yorkshire pudding. Or make a second one.

Roast for 20 minutes, in white time the pastry will puff up and crisp.

Eat with gravy and lots of it.

1. Oh how delicious sounding! We have a thing called Toad in the Hole here in America, but it’s an egg pan fried in a hole in the middle of a piece of bread…

2. Looks gorgeous. What would happen if skimmed milk was used as I never have full fat milk?

3. My Mum used to make toad in the hole when we were kids. I loved it but haven’t had it in years. I like the look of your version with chorizo sausages, plus the individual portion in a lovely little dish is so aesthetically pleasing! x

4. Weird, I made Toad in the hole last Friday. Ten years or more since I last made one. I must make more.
    Dish size, I followed Jamie’s recipe from Happy Days. His dish looked like a loaf tin; he likes his toad to go massive. Mine went to much colour on top raw in the middle. Your dish looks more like it.
    Also I bought some veal sausages, no flavour. Beef sausages perhaps? Thinking roast beef Yorkshire pudding. On a plus note, the gravy was nice, Onion and Balsamic in the mix, with duck stock.(I have six pints of duck stock, after saving 25/30 legs from going in the bin at work).
    Toad in the hole, a classic, yours looks lovely.

5. Poor deprived young you for not having toad in the hole! I’m very gad that you discovered it at last :)
    And i love that you wanted to tuck the sausages up in bed – I guess the batter makes a pretty good consumable one, doesn’t it?
    Never called a sausage dish “cute” before but this one is decidedly CUTE.

6. Loved seeing this. I and many others including yourself can get quite defensive when it comes to national dishes like this, I think many see it as common or too simple but actually it’s the simplicity and quality of it that makes a toad in the hole so special. I have flipped my lid a couple of times when I’ve seen people make it with the cheapest nastiest sausages you could imagine and ready made batter, I’m not ponsy at all but a dish like this deserves – and also requires, the best you can afford, if it’s cheap sausages you have in the fridge, don’t bother making this at all as you will be sorely disappointed. Lovely recipe Niamh as always, love the little pie tins too!

All the best

7. I love toad in the hole and yours looks delicious, fab batter! Definitely agree it’s worth making the effort cooking for 1, would never want to miss an opportunity to enjoy good food.

8. I’m in utter disbelief that you haven’t experienced toad in the hole until now – poor you! I love this dish – I like to prepare it with pork and apple sausages, as the apple caramelises slightly during cooking giving an added sweet stickiness to compliment the Yorkshire Pudding. I would also recommend roasting red onions to serve with this dish if you fancy “a little something on the side”. All this talk has made me hungry.. at least I know what I’m making for dinner tonight!

• No, no, no, Amy! Not until I moved to the UK. Twelve years ago. Toad in the Hole is a culinary friend now, no longer a stranger :)) Enjoy!

9. Pingback: Food blogs and food poverty | Molluscs and Me