I was thinking of Scandinavia when I made this. Their love for cardamom in their pastries, and blueberries which are plentiful when in season. I adore cardamom too, spice generally, and knowing how much blueberry and cardamom love each other, I wanted to make something bright and delicious to help my February sing. It is a short month, but at times it feels like the longest of the year. We are teased with bright blue skies, and spring is near.
I was also thinking of my lovely rhubarb and rose pistachio frangipane tart which I made last year. These are siblings. Alike but still very different, coming from the same place but each choosing a different path.
The joy of this tart lies not just in the flavours but also in its simplicity. It takes little effort with shop bought pastry, and you end up speedily with a gorgeous tart. A bright swift remedy for dark days or nights that demand it. This is packed with joy and speed and simplicity. Enjoy! And if you make it, let me know how it went here or share it with me on twitter or instagram using the hashtag #EatLikeAGirl.
Blueberry and Cardamom Frangipane Tart
- 100g ground almound (almond flour)
- 100g butter (or coconut oil if you can't have dairy)
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 8 cardamom pods, split with seeds removed and ground to a powder in a pestle & mortar
- 200g fresh blueberries and extra to serve (if you like)
- 1 sheet of puff pastry approx 30cm x 20cm and a tray that will accommodate it (shop bought is fine)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp icing sugar (confectioners sugar), to serve
Latest posts by Niamh (see all)
- A Bright Chicken Noodle Soup with Pancetta, Pumpkin and Pak Choi - February 4, 2018
- Understanding Milk Allergy and Intolerance and a Step by Step Guide to Making Paneer - February 1, 2018
- Peanut Dusted Hot Korean Rice Cakes (Garaetteok) - January 30, 2018