It was 17C in London today. In FEBRUARY. That is completely bonkers. Still, it is February, so soup weather. I lightened this one a bit, basing it in a light garlicky broth with beans (chickpeas, but use whatever bean you like), streaky bacon, crumbled sausage, cavolo nero, a pinch of chilli and a twist on gremolata on top.
Let’s talk about gremolata! I love it and it is perfect for brightening things, especially anything meaty, like a rich slow cooked ragu. It is simply lemon zest, flat leaf parsley and raw garlic. Chopped and chopped and chopped together, until really fine. I said this was a twist, and so it was. I used preserved lemon and added some chilli also. It really lifted the bowl.
This was enough for 3-4 but I am always thinking of leftovers, and something that can be converted speedily to a meal the next day. Lots of bowls in this shot because my flatmate was home also. One for him, one for me, and one for my lunchbox for tomorrow!
Note: I made all of this gluten-free with gluten-free sausages and noodles. It is dairy free also.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 50g streaky bacon, sliced small
- 200g sausages, removed from their skins and pulled apart (Italian sausages are particularly good for this, but use your favourite)
- 250g cooked chickpeas / 1 drained tin (or use any white bean)
- 1 litre chicken broth
- 1 tsp mild chilli (I used Turkish pul biber)
- 75g cavolo nero stripped from the stems (or kale)
- 50g soup noodles / broken spaghetti
- 1 tbsp finely chopped preserved lemon
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp mild chilli (or go wild and use a hot one!)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Latest posts by Niamh (see all)
- Chickpea and Sausage Noodle Soup with Cavolo Nero and Preserved Lemon and Chilli Gremolata - February 21, 2019
- Easy Speedy Chinese Style Black Bean Sauce - February 11, 2019
- Lemon and Chickpea Taramasalata (Gluten Free and Dairy Free) - February 6, 2019