I know everything should start with an onion, or so the saying goes. Most of my cooking does. But not always. Sometimes just garlic will do and occasionally not at all. When I made this dish I started with minced beef not sure of what I would add next. The final result was a tasty speedy supper that required little work or preparation. I call that a winner!
A curry powder you love is the key
Choose minced beef with fat – low fat means dry and low in flavour too. Your curry powder is the weapon of choice here. I have made it with Japanese curry powder and Vietnamese curry powder. I love both but use your favourite, or play around until you find one. Curry powder is perfect for brisk cooking. I am fond of a curry egg mayo too. And I adore egg mayo any which way! Do you?
This – as the title details – is gluten-free, dairy-free and speedy. Serve with the carb of your choice like rice. Anything goes, it is your dinner after all. Leftovers? Add a fried egg for breakfast.
On the side
I served this with a very simple and super quick bowl of wilted spinach with sea salt and some curry powder
- 500g minced beef
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 1 tsp mild chilli flakes (like Korean) or 1 chopped fresh chilli (as hot as you fancy)
- one average aubergine, diced and stem removed (approx 300g - but use the whole thing, this isn't about precision)
- approx 20 curry leaves (if you can't source them use fresh coriander to finish instead)
- sea salt
- oil for frying
Latest posts by Niamh (see all)
- Minced Beef, Aubergine and Coconut Curry (GF, DF, Speedy) - March 29, 2019
- A New Brunswick Culinary Road Trip: Starting at Saint John [Part 1] - March 27, 2019
- Tagliatelle with Pork, Beef and Black Pudding Ragu - March 22, 2019