15 Minute Lemongrass Prawn Patties – Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Gorgeous
Frozen raw prawns are a freezer staple for me. They defrost quickly, cook in minutes and are super versatile. I love them in a curry (my Goan prawn curry is one of my most popular recipes, still, after 11 years on the site). They are fantastic with noodles (like these spicy peanut butter noodles). Brilliant in a soup (this prawn tom yum kung recipe from my trip to Bangkok is gorgeous)and who doesn’t love a laksa? (Prawn Laksa recipe right here!). I love them in a meatball (prawn and chorizo meatballs in broth, anyone?). Cook them whole, mince them, put them on a stick and grill them. There are endless possibilities with the humble prawn (which some of you North American friends which may call shrimp) and they are wonderful in these speedy and bright lemongrass prawn patties.
15 Minute Lemongrass Prawn Patties
Today I minced them with lemongrass, lime, spring onion, garlic, ginger, coriander and chilli and shaped them into patties. Just a quick whizz in the food processor (you can use a blender). That is it. No breadcrumbs to bulk them out or shape them. These patties seem loose but they hold together very well and fry quickly. I had them with eggs and (more) coriander for lunch. They would be lovely in a lettuce wrap with herbs and a squeeze of lime and some spring onions. In a bun as a burger with our favourite condiment (I suggest a lime and garlic aioli, use homemade mayonnaise if you have time, if you don’t add a squeeze of lime, a little lime zest and crushed garlic to some mayonnaise).
Another joy of these is that your gluten free and dairy free friends can enjoy them. There is an idea that having no gluten or dairy in a recipe is somehow subtracting flavour. Far from it, as you can see with these.
Enjoy and let me know what you think of them!
Popular Prawn Recipes on Eat Like a Girl
- 250g raw prawns (defrosted if frozen)
- 2 sticks lemongrass, outer layers removed to expose the white, finely sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 inch ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small chilli (of your choice depending on how hot you want it, seeds removed if you want it milder)
- a handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 3 spring onions, roots removed and coarsely chopped
- sea salt to season
- juice of half a lime (and the remaining half, and one more lime to serve)
- oil for frying
- My New Book, Bacon the Cookbook, Publishes on Thursday - December 15, 2020
- Dream Now, Travel Later: Plotting a Return to Nova Scotia - November 30, 2020
- Jalapeño Brined Fried Chicken and Homemade Chicken Fat Tortilla Tacos - October 22, 2020