BRUNCH! Glorious brunch. Is there any better meal?
I could write a book on brunch recipes, I’ve made so many. I utterly adore lazy weekend mornings, they’re possibly my favourite time. Still in pjs, mixing and stirring, weighing and baking, frying and sizzling. Making coffee, drinking coffee. The huge weekend papers. What’s not to love?
This weekend, both brunches were the same. I rediscovered the joy of American Style Pancakes, those gorgeous pancakes that are fluffy and light, with crispy streaky bacon and ridiculous amounts of maple syrup. The sweet soft pancakes are gorgeous with the crispy salt bacon. The maple syrup is the magical cherry on top.
The recipe is very easy, it’s all about 1’s. 100 ml flour, 100ml milk, 1 big pinch salt, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 heaped tsp baking flour 1 egg. I use Old Cotswold Legbar eggs which are large, so use a large egg to substitute if you can’t get them. They are deliciou though, seek them out if you can.
This recipe will give you enough pancakes for one greedy person – 3 or 4 depending on how big you like them. The batter will be quite thick, you want it to be, but it will be fluid enough to pour, plop and spread.
Fry and devour greedily while you read your paper, or watch your omnibus. Hey, I’m not going to judge you! Weekend mornings are glorious and for the lazy. I hope you’ve enjoyed yours :)
More Great Pancake Recipes
These gorgeous pancakes serve 1 person - multiply as required.
- 100ml whole milk
- 100g plain flour
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- a generous pinch of sea salt
- 1 egg, separated into yolk and white
- bacon - streaky for me, but whatever you prefer, and as much as you want to eat. I had 6 slices.
- Maple syrup
- butter, for frying
- Jalapeño Brined Fried Chicken and Homemade Chicken Fat Tortilla Tacos - October 22, 2020
- Chilli Roast Pumpkin, Halloumi, Cavolo Nero and Pomegranate - September 23, 2020
- Confit Duck with Damson Plums, Puy Lentils, Beetroot and Sage - September 14, 2020