There is such pleasure in cooking over fire in the sun. A feeling of freedom outside, especially if you have a small kitchen, as I do. That feeling of space is wonderful, the great outdoors even in a tiny London garden. The sun is back – cue much rejoicing – and so I am back at the coal face and loving every minute. My BBQ is parked just outside the back door and right next to one of my raised vegetable beds and it all feels very cheerful and bright.
I like to cook with what I have and not necessarily follow a recipe, even one of my own. I have made lots of new dishes recently. Bavette tacos with gojuchang and wild garlic (homemade) mayo last night, which were great and so simple, they definitely deserve a space on here. But before then, these lemongrass and chilli pork kebabs.
This is a very simple recipe. You can prepare them in advance and let them sit in the fridge until you need them. If you have a food processor let it do all the work, right up until you shape them at least. If you don’t, don’t stress, you can do all of this by hand too, just be sure to knead the meet as you would for a seekh kebab so that the meat becomes sticky and all comes together (trust me: it makes sense).
For these I chose South East Asian flavours: lemongrass, garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander. chilli. But do feel free to play and try harissa pork kebabs, curry kebabs, the list of possibilities is endless.
- 500g good minced pork (try to find minced pork with at least 15-20% fat - better flavour and juicier)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli (I used a mild fruity one but feel free to go crazy and hotter), seeds and stem removed
- 3 stalks lemongrass, outer leaves and bottom removed, roughly chopped
- 1 inch fresh peeled turmeric root or 1 tsp turmeric
- a handful of fresh coriander
- sea salt for seasoning
- juice of half a lemon
- 8 wooden kebab skewers, soaked for at last 20 minutes in water
- garnish: fresh coriander or finely sliced kaffir lime leaves and Thai basil
- ‘Nduja Chickpeas with Tomato, Coriander and Scrambled Egg - June 17, 2020
- Announcing our Special Guest for this weeks Cooking and Cocktail Show (TODAY at 5pm)! - May 14, 2020
- Instant Mini Rhubarb and Rose Cheesecakes - May 10, 2020