Chickpea and Sausage Noodle Soup with Cavolo Nero and Preserved Lemon and Chilli Gremolata
It was 17C in London today. In FEBRUARY. That is completely bonkers. Still, it is February, so soup weather. I lightened this one a bit, basing it in a light garlicky broth with beans (chickpeas, but use whatever bean you like), streaky bacon, crumbled sausage, cavolo nero, a pinch of chilli and a twist on gremolata on top.
Let’s talk about gremolata! I love it and it is perfect for brightening things, especially anything meaty, like a rich slow cooked ragu. It is simply lemon zest, flat leaf parsley and raw garlic. Chopped and chopped and chopped together, until really fine. I said this was a twist, and so it was. I used preserved lemon and added some chilli also. It really lifted the bowl.
This was enough for 3-4 but I am always thinking of leftovers, and something that can be converted speedily to a meal the next day. Lots of bowls in this shot because my flatmate was home also. One for him, one for me, and one for my lunchbox for tomorrow!
Note: I made all of this gluten-free with gluten-free sausages and noodles. It is dairy free also.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 50g streaky bacon, sliced small
- 200g sausages, removed from their skins and pulled apart (Italian sausages are particularly good for this, but use your favourite)
- 250g cooked chickpeas / 1 drained tin (or use any white bean)
- 1 litre chicken broth
- 1 tsp mild chilli (I used Turkish pul biber)
- 75g cavolo nero stripped from the stems (or kale)
- 50g soup noodles / broken spaghetti
- 1 tbsp finely chopped preserved lemon
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp mild chilli (or go wild and use a hot one!)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley