Chickpeas with Chilli, Coriander, Lemon and Red Onion
Are chickpeas everyone’s favourite pulse, or just the one they are most familiar and comfortable with? Do you stock up to make the nations favourite dip, hummus? Or do you make curry, soup or add them to a salad? The chickpea is indispensable, especially now when some days, despite all the time, we require something quick and nourishing with little effort but lots of flavour. This is a plate of sunshine.
Use tinned chickpeas, or home-cooked. Whatever you have. Take the sharp edge of the red onion by letting it sit in the lemon juice for 10 minutes before dressing the chickpeas. Use whatever herbs you have, basil, oregano, parsley would all work very well too. Lime juice would be lovely here but if you have no fresh citrus, use vinegar (any except malt vinegar which would be too harsh). Taste as you go, and enjoy the results.
Other lovely chickpea recipes on Eat Like a Girl
- *serves one happily - multiply as appropriate
- 1 x tin chickpeas, drained or 250g home cooked chickpeas
- 1 lemon
- half a small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp Korean red pepper / gochugaru, or chilli of your choice, adjusted in terms of heat
- fresh coriander - there are really no limits here and if you hate coriander, use basil, oregano or flat leaf parsley
- sea salt