You know how it goes. You are cooking brunch. It is the weekend. A sleepy start, slower than normal. Hatching plans. Just what will be the perfect soldier to dip in to your runny egg yolk? I take great care with my eggs to avoid any potential problems. The yolk is the very best bit and I need it to be runny and perfect, I also need my white to be set. This, I figured out years ago. The trick is simple, just add a lid and cook it just long enough.
This usually is a failsafe, except for this morning, as when I was happily snapping and instagram story-ing my perfect egg, the bloody yolk broke. I know it shouldn’t be a big deal but it always is. I shrieked, and I had about 30 seconds to decided what I would do with it. Alongside the egg in my pan was some courgettes, diced small and fried with a grated carrot, and sesame seeds. Tasting really good already with just a little salt, in my shrieking panic, I decided to turn my disappointing broken egg into a speedy menamen. Such a good decision.
I think it tasted even better than what I had originally planned. Proving, as always, that sometimes kitchen mistakes and random ingredients can bring new, interesting and delicious things to your table. This has already been on my table twice since I made it, and it will become a favourite, for sure. The recipe is from the second time when I added some flourishes, however, if in a rush, feel free to omit the garlic and ginger and crack on.
Perfect for your weekend brunch or speedy supper. Breakfast food all day every day, I say!
Other brunch egg recipes that you must try
- Serves 2 (or one hungry person!)
- 2 carrots, cut into narrow julienne strips, or grated
- 2 small-ish courgettes, diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Korean chilli powder, or some chilli of your choice (adjust the heat accordingly)
- a handful of fresh coriander, coarsely torn with your hand as you add it
- 1 tbsp neutral oil for frying, I used groundnut oil
- sea salt
- Dream Now, Travel Later: Plotting a Return to Nova Scotia - November 30, 2020
- Jalapeño Brined Fried Chicken and Homemade Chicken Fat Tortilla Tacos - October 22, 2020
- Chilli Roast Pumpkin, Halloumi, Cavolo Nero and Pomegranate - September 23, 2020