Courgette Flower / Squash Blossom Quesadillas
Courgette flowers continue to be a joy. Cheering my mornings with their generous wide open petals reaching for the sky with happy abundance. Greeting bees and then once the bees have had their turn, they come into the kitchen for me. Such a versatile ingredient, cooked until wilted just so and still retaining texture, they taste a little of courgette and mostly of themselves.
When the flowers are big (if your plant is), the green ends are bitter. So don’t use those. if your plants are smaller (I have varying sizes from tiny to huge), then all is tender and gorgeous and you don’t need to worry about this. This is one thing that I have learned to manipulate. I have nasturtiums in various size pots to get different size leaves. Some tiny, from the small pots, some huge, from my hanging baskets. Gorgeous colourful flowers peep out from in between and these are a terrific garnish, and what I have used here.
These are so easy. The buffalo mozzarella can make the quesadillas go soggy if they sit around for a while so be sure to make them just before you plan to eat them. If you want to make large batches and not worry about this, just use cheddar. I had lots like this also. And they were very good. The mozzarella gives it a little sweetness to counter the tiny trace of bitterness in the flowers. And you know, buffalo mozzarella is so good.
- 3 corn tortillas (approx 15cm diameter) - I used blue fresh ones which I highly recommend if you can find them, normal will do otherwise
- one small ball buffalo mozzarella approx 150g
- 16 courgette flowers / zucchini blossoms
- Japanese shichimi togarashi - a gorgeous bright hot pepper. Or chilli of your choice.
- 150g cheddar, grated or sliced thinly
- light oil for frying, like groundnut or rapeseed
- optional: edible flowers for garnish, I used nasturtium flowers and leaves here.
- My New Book, Bacon the Cookbook, Publishes on Thursday - December 15, 2020
- Dream Now, Travel Later: Plotting a Return to Nova Scotia - November 30, 2020
- Jalapeño Brined Fried Chicken and Homemade Chicken Fat Tortilla Tacos - October 22, 2020