Crown Prince Squash, Ginger and Coriander Soup (and TEN other favourite soup recipes for you!)
Well hello darker evenings. How is it that you always descend so quickly? We bounce from summer to chilly to dark in a matter of weeks. I do love the seasons but this time of year requires care and adjustment. I feel like I have the hibernation instinct of a bear. All I want to do is cook and eat (well, always I know but more so!). With the best of the season that usually means a cosy collection of soups front of centre.
I love a pumpkin, that isn’t new. Within the pumpkin (and squash!) family there is much to explore. I have a few favourites, at this time of year Crown Prince Squash and Delicata Squash are two favourites. Today we are going to talk about Crown Prince. With rich dense orange flesh and a deep flavour it is the perfect starting point for many things. Pancakes, waffles, soups, stews, pilaf, gnocchi. You name it, I have probably made it with Crown Prince Squash recently.
Who doesn’t love pumpkin soup?
Today I am going to share this simple recipe for Crown Prince Squash, Ginger and Coriander Soup with you. It is so bright and full flavoured. As much as coconut milk loves this squash, I dar say as much as I do, I only add it on the top allowing the squash to shine in the soup.
I made this vegan as I only had a veggie stock at home, but feel free to make this with chicken stock too. This soup is almost all inclusive and certainly one for gluten free, dairy free and vegans too. Enjoy! And tell me, what are your favourite soups? Are there any you would like me to share here?
- 750g crown prince squash (peeled and diced weight)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 30g ginger (peeled and finely chopped) - yes a lot - I wanted the kick but dial it down if you don't
- 1 tsp Korean chilli / mild chilli
- 700ml veg stock
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, coconut milk and a pinch of chilli flakes for garnish
- Light oil for frying (use your preferred cooking fat)
PLUS! Ten Terrific Soups from My Kitchen and My Travels
- Nduja Clams with Garlic Aioli - July 23, 2020
- Baked Seaweed Beans (Haricot Beans with Tomatoes, Seaweed and Balsamic Onions) - July 8, 2020
- ‘Nduja Chickpeas with Tomato, Coriander and Scrambled Egg - June 17, 2020