What is it about dumplings that makes them so irresistible? Silky carbs enclosing gorgeousness, what is not to love?!
I make dumplings more than is reasonable. Often I make the wrappers myself, it is worth the effort and is somewhat soothing when there is time. There are several recipes on the blog for dumplings already including wrappers (like this Beef & GInger Jiaozi recipe). I do use store bought wrappers too though, which do the job quite well (shop around as they vary), especially when pressed for time or on the road.
Making Handmade Chinese Style Dumplings
For now lets focus on Chinese style dumplings. Chinese style because they look like them and are most certainly inspired by them, but inside the filling for this dumpling is very Irish. Sausage dumplings are something that I have made for a while. I love Irish sausages so much that I had to make them with those, mixed with a little gorgeous kale to loosen the sausage mix and add texture and flavour.
These are so easy, and very frugal. The amounts here will make 8 dumplings, but that depends on the size of your wrapper so lets say 8-10. Multiply as appropriate. Don’t stress too much about folding, it comes easy with practice. Here, a video that shows how to do it, but you can just pinch them closed too or as some restaurants do in Chinatown, press them closed. Just make sure they are secure and tight. I generally fold them for that extra security and they look better too. In the video Jason also rolls the dough, which is useful if you plan to make your wrappers from scratch.
- 8 - 10 dumplings skins
- 200g sausage meat (sausage meat removed from the skins)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp peeled and finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives and abundant fresh coriander (or to taste - I love it - leave it out and add more chives if you don't)
- 50g kale removed from the stem and chopped small
- oil for frying
- 50ml chinkiang (black) vinegar
- 1 tsp chilli oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- fresh coriander leaves
- finely sliced spring onions
- Dream Now, Travel Later: Plotting a Return to Nova Scotia - November 30, 2020
- Jalapeño Brined Fried Chicken and Homemade Chicken Fat Tortilla Tacos - October 22, 2020
- Chilli Roast Pumpkin, Halloumi, Cavolo Nero and Pomegranate - September 23, 2020